By: Jennifer Schmiel, Senior Vice President of Member Services
Building connections is what the Dallas Regional Chamber (DRC) works hard to do on a daily basis. On Wednesday, Sept. 24, the DRC through a partnership with the Initiative for a Competitive Inner City (ICIC), will host the Inner City Capital Connections (ICCC) as a way to connect top growing inner city businesses with access to capital and strategies to build capacity. Continue reading
By: Tara Vornkahl, Manager-Innovation
IBM SmartCamp Dallas: September 23, 2014
IBM SmartCamps, a part of IBM’s Global Entrepreneur Program, offer a variety of ways for entrepreneurs to grow their business, obtain access to leading experts and technology, and ultimately get their products to market faster. IBM SmartCamps judge the best startup companies around the globe, rewarding the winners with mentoring, professional services, and partnership opportunities with IBM, venture capital firms, and industry partners. Apply today to join SmartCamp Dallas for a chance to grow your business and get your products to market faster.
If your business would like to participate in this event, apply now.
For general admission, apply here.
2014 Texas Regional Conference: September 24-25, 2014
The 2014 Texas Regional Conference, a part of the Greater Dallas Asian American Chamber of Commerce’s “Chamber Academy Series,” will be held at the Omni Hotel Park West. Attendees will help their businesses grow through networking with industry experts. Additionally, individuals will learn about:
- Upcoming architecture, engineering and construction opportunities;
- Business expansion resources;
- Overview of Texas economy and international business;
- International business and trade opportunities with Asian countries;
- Available resources for export/import;
- Capital access for international trade;
- Investment opportunities and EB-5; and
- Methods to grow or expand a business through franchise and buying or selling a business.
Register for the Texas Regional Conference here.
Methodist Health System and Mayo Clinic officials announced today that Methodist has been selected to join the Mayo Clinic Care Network. Members of the network share a goal of improving the delivery of health care in their communities through high-quality, collaborative medical care. Continue reading
- DRC CEO Dale Petroskey will travel to China this month with the mayors of Dallas and Fort Worth to promote American Airlines’ new direct flights to Shanghai and Hong Kong.
- The DRC will host a legislative reception for members to meet their state representatives on Sept. 10. Sign up for this Power Hour today!
- Leadership Dallas Alumni has sold out an event that highlights experienced senior executive women. “Advancing Women to Corporate Boards” will explore the trends in board service for women, how to get on a board, and what to expect as a board member.
- Dallas ISD Superintendent Mike Miles and Board of Trustees President Miguel Solis will speak at State of the District on Sept. 16 to address the milestones, goals, challenges, and opportunities that face the district.
- The Dallas Entrepreneur Center and Golden Seeds will host a series called “Learn How to Fundraise” on Sept. 18. Panelists will provide feedback and analyze a live pitch of a new startup.
- The DRC will celebrate a “Member Milestone” for UMB Bank’s 100-year anniversary this month.
- Network with other business professionals at Leads Over Lunch on Sept. 24. Each attendee will receive a list of pre-registered attendees for follow up.
- Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award winners will share their experiences and help you get started on a performance excellence journey at our Small Business Forum on Sept. 25.
- At the end of the month, the DRC is rolling out its new website! You will have access to visually rich content that is easy to navigate. Keep up with the DRC for more information on the official launch date.
- Eligible Texans who are not currently registered or need to update their registration due to a move or name change have just 28 days remaining before the November election’s voter registration deadline on Oct. 6. Learn how to register to vote here.
According to the Texas Secretary of State’s election countdown clock, the November election is only 56 days away. Many important issues such as Prop 1 transportation funding and the next Governor of Texas will be decided in this year’s election.
By: Ryan Tharp, Director of Research and Economic Development
It’s true that most of the new private-sector jobs in this country are created by small businesses. In fact, approximately 43 percent of private payroll is derived from small establishments. In Dallas-Fort Worth, 97 percent of all establishments have fewer than 100 employees. About 150 of those establishments are ranked as the fastest growing private companies in the nation by Inc. Magazine. These small businesses are cauldrons of innovation and creativity that very often launch the next big thing. Dallas-Fort Worth is a prime location with access to many desirable markets for startups. Many small-business development centers serve the region and can assist entrepreneurs in getting their businesses off the ground.
Click to Enlarge